How to get apostille Attestation - A complete Guide on Apostillation
Apostille Attestation is a way to legalize a document for foreign country meaning if any document has apostille the foreign country considers the document to be genuine and properly issued by rightful authorities.
What is apostille attestation in India?
In simple terms, Apostille attestation is a way that is used to legalize a document. An apostille stamp is placed on the document by the Ministry of External Affairs authorities. This stamp makes the document legal and ready to use in a foreign country. In India, four authorities are engaged in the apostille process. These are notary, SDM/State, MEA, and Embassy. The major authority from which an apostille stamp is placed on the document is the Ministry of External Affairs.
But the second question that arises in mind is why a person should get an apostille stamp on the document. Is it essential? So, let’s see the importance of apostille attestation:
- To speed up the verification process in a foreign country.
- It is mandatory for Hague Nations.
- To get the visa of a country(specified)
- There is a further need for Embassy Attestation for non-Hague countries.
- For the legalization of a document
Go to Apostille Process Directly
Go to Apostille Process Directly
What are the documents for which apostille attestation is done?
The documents that are a must for the apostille attestation are given below. The main document varies with the type of visa a person wants. Here is the list:
- The first type of certificate for which apostille attestation is done is personal documents. This document includes apostille for death certificates, marriage certificates, police clearance certificates, experience certificates, divorce certificates, and several others.
- Moving ahead, the second type of certificate is an educational document. Such as diploma certificates, school leaving certificates, nursing certificates, degree certificates, transfer certificates, and other related educational documents.
- Further, there are commercial documents that include patents, contract papers, invoices, power of attorney, incorporation papers, insurance certificates, authority letters, and many more.
What are the reasons that make the apostille attestation necessary?
Many reasons make apostille attestation necessary. These are as follows:
- If an individual is applying for a study visa then it is crucial for them to have a degree certificate apostille and birth certificate apostille.
- If a person wants a permanent resident visa, they should have a PCC certificate apostille.
- For an individual who wishes to get married in some other country, then it is a must that they have a single status certificate apostille done.
- An individual needs to have a marriage certificate apostille to get a spouse visa.
What documents are a must to get the apostille attestation done?
The documents that are needed to get the apostille attestation done are as follows:
- Major Documents
- An original document is needed that is to be apostilled. The document includes a marriage certificate, degree certificate, birth certificate, single status certificate, police clearance certificate, or any other mentioned personal, educational, or commercial document.
- Supporting Documents
- A photocopy of the License
- Aadhar Card photocopy
- Front and Last page photocopy of a passport.
Apostille attestation briefly explained
There are three steps involved in the apostille attestation procedure. So, we will discuss each of them carefully.
- Notary Attestation: This is the first step where all the documents that an individual wants to attest are presented to the notary. All the details are carefully checked with the supporting documents. When the details are found correct then the notary attests to the document with the signature.
- State/SDM Attestation: Further, the documents are shown to State or SDM for attestation. In this step, both authorities will analyze the details, and when they will find that all the provided information is correct. Then only, the documents will be attested by them.
An individual can choose any of the authorities but the time taken by the SDM is less than the State authority. The SDM attestation is completed in three to five days. On the other hand, the state attestation takes three to four weeks to complete.
- Ministry of External Affairs: This step is an essential step of the attestation procedure. The MEA will verify all the details that are provided in the document that is to be apostilled. When the information gets verified then an apostille stamp is placed on the document by the authority. This is the last step for the countries that are a member of the Hague Nation.
Is apostille attestation of documents for different visas?
The apostille attestation of documents is similar for almost all types of visas. For each of them, there are four authorities involved from where attestation is done. However, there are fewer steps involved in the attestation procedure for the countries that are a member of the Hague Nations.
Are the steps of apostille attestation similar for both the Hague and Non-Hague Nations?
The first three steps of the apostille attestation are similar in both the Hague and Non-Hague Nations. The steps are
- Notary Attestation
- State/SDM Attestation
- Ministry of External Affairs/ MEA attestation
Although, the fourth step that is mentioned below is done for the countries that are not a part of the Hague Nations or if any country has specified that they want this step to be done. The step is:
- Embassy Attestation
What expenses do a person have to pay to get apostille attestation services in Mumbai?
There are certain expenses that an individual has to pay to get attestation services in Mumbai. These vary from the state in which the document is issued. Moreover, it also depends on the document type and the count of documents a person wants to apostille. In addition to this, a fee is also charged by the authorities that are different for each authority.
Further moving, a fee is charged by the apostille service that differs from one another. Lastly, if any other additional service is taken such as pick and drop of documents then the charges fluctuate. So, to know the exact expenses contact here. The documents will be analyzed first, and then the apostille service provider will let you know the charges that are to be paid.
Can a person get his/her personal document attestation in Mumbai within 10 days?
Generally, a person gets their document attestation done in 7 to 10 days. But sometimes the time frame might extend due to uncertainties. So, to avoid any delays make sure to choose apostille attestation services that have complete knowledge. Also, make sure that they keep your document safe as all the documents are original.